Frequently asked questions for carers

Got a burning question?

We know that you may have unanswered questions  so we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions to help you make an informed choice!

If you still can’t find the answer you’re looking for then please talk to us.

I registered with Off To Care when I returned to full-time Care after looking after my family.  Off to Care were very quick in signing me up and had my first booking within a couple of weeks of registering with them. Once I had completed their training I was booked for my first client and have had regular bookings ever since.  My shifts are flexible because I can choose when to work, which fits in perfectly with my circumstances. Lisa H

How does being self-employed works?

As a self-employed carer you are not an employee of Off To Care, you work directly for the person receiving the care. This gives you complete control over the bookings you accept and ultimately your career progression.

Can I choose when I Work?

Yes. As a carer it is up to you when you choose to take a booking

</p> <p>Do I need to be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) to be<br /> a live-in carer?

No. Live-in carers and personal assistants who are self-employed and work directly for an individual are not required to be CQC registered as long as the care does not extend beyond personal care. Please visit the CQC website to view their definition of personal care.

</p> <p>Do I need insurance to become a live-in carer?
Yes. All carers that register with Off to Care need to have Public Liability Insurance. This is to protect the client in the case of an accident or an injury where you are liable. One such provider is Premier Care who offer Public liability cover for Personal Care Assistants. Please follow this link to find out more.
</p> <p>How do I calculate my tax and National Insurance contributions?

As soon as you become self-employed you must tell HMRC. You can do this by registering online to pay taxes on the HMRC website or by calling the HMRC Newly Self-Employed Hotline on 0300 200 3504.  Many of our carers do not want to go through this process themselves and instead work with an accountant to make sure they are compliant. If you contact our office we would be happy to recommend an accountant to you.

</p> <p>Do I get paid on handover days?

Yes, you will be paid a full day’s pay on both the day you start and the day you finish a placement.

</p> <p>Do I have to find and pay for my accommodation?

No. We only have clients who have a separate bedroom for their carer

Who pays for my food during placement?
The client provides the food during the booking; unless you have a special dietary requirement then you will be expected to supply this food yourself.
Who pays for my travel?
The client will pay for your travel to and from their home. We calculate the travel allowance for carers to be an off peak, second class rail fare from the station nearest to your home address to the station closest to the client’s address. Usually around £30 -£40 one off payment
What if I don’t like my booking and wants to leave?
If you don’t like your booking your first response should be to call the office. As we have had many of our clients for a long time and have very close relationships, there may be something that we can do to help. If you need to leave urgently we would find a replacement carer to take over as soon as possible but would ask that you remain with the client until there is someone there to relieve you.
What support do I get?
Before a placement start we will ensure that you have up to date training and regular progress reviews

Weekly salaries range between £500 and £700 which is reviewed to reflect changes in the care plan and clients state of health.

Travelling Expenses are also payable, capped at £40 per Care period.
An extra £55 per day is paid for any Bank Holiday, other than at Christmas where an extra £80 per day is required for each of the 3 Bank Holidays.
Placements commence on an agreed starting date and usually for the duration of two weeks. On completion it is our policy to have the carer wait to changeover with those continuing cover – making it possible for any recent changes or observations to be conveyed to the other ensuring that each of them is aware of the up-to-date situation.

Will my placement have wifi?
This will vary depending on the client, however when taking on a new client this is something we clarify and will relay this information to you when we approach you about the booking.  If wi-fi / internet access is vital to you, we can put this on your file and only contact you about bookings with this facility.
Where will I be working?
We offer a nationwide service so have clients throughout the UK. It is completely up to you as to where you decide to work. As accommodation is provided at all our placements and the journey to and from the client’s home is paid for we find that location is rarely an issue for many of our carers.
Will I get regular work?
Yes. We always have a calling for dedicated, honest and hardworking carers.
Do I get training?
Yes, we offer all our new carers a comprehensive e-learning package which covers  manual handling, food hygiene, dementia awareness, safeguarding and health & safety.
We are also offering the chance for our registered carers to undergo a three-day classroom-based induction programme, in order to attain The Care Certificate. To find out more about this please contact the office by phone or email.
Who pays me?
You will be paid directly by the person paying for the care. In the vast majority of cases this is the person receiving the care. Alternatively, it will be their representative.
How much do I get paid?
Each booking has its own daily rate paid to the carer. This is dependent on the needs of the client and the level of carer duties and responsibilities. However, average rate of pay ranges from £500 to £700 per week, paid every 2 weeks.